Saturday, January 24, 2015

Weight & Your Body

Hello loves <3

     I've wanted to write this post for a while, but I've put it off as, one, I haven't had the guts and two, I can't find the right words. But I am just going to type freely until I get it all out :)

     Being a teenager is a lot of work! When we enter the teen world we are met with a gust of wind otherwise known as surprise. Boom! Oh, you're a teen now? Let's erupt your life with loads of problems, issues, and hormones.

     Thankfully I have the most loving and supporting family that help in these situations where I feel like I want to scream out into a void or pull my hair out. But even with all the kind words, advice, and reassurance, there are always going to be those things that don't leave our minds. For me, that's my body.

     I don't have the prettiest body. I don't have very toned legs or a thigh gap. I do have a bit of tummy fat. I am not totally completely happy with the way I look. When I look in the mirror I just wish and wish that a genie would appear and grant me three wishes. Sad as it is, losing weight would be one of them. It's not as bad now, but I used to be obsessed over my weight. I'd sneak into my parent's room whenever they weren't there, or were sleeping, in order to weigh myself. If I gained a pound my whole day became grey. I'd feel so bad about myself, thinking that I'm fat and that I can't lose weight.

     Not too long ago I began counting calories. I'd insert each and every bit of food I had into the app I had on my phone. For the first couple days or so I stayed under my calorie goal. The first time I went over I was so mad at myself. Why? Why did I have to eat that cheese stick? Or, why didn't I just turn down that cookie from my friend? I've abandoned counting calories now; it didn't help me very much. Yes, I somewhat controlled what I was eating, but every time I had a slip I'd dwell on it. It's not healthy to dwell in regret or guilt!

     I've tried healthy recipes for foods so I can substitute better options, but they always end up not working or just not yummy. And yes, I know, unhealthy foods are usually tastier than healthier foods, but no matter what I try I can't stick to it.

     I've found that even if I'm not hungry, if there's food in front of me, I want it ... so I eat it. It's like, if I'm at a party and there's some chocolate on the table after we've just had a very nice dinner, I'll go ahead and eat more than enough knowing it's not good for me and that I'm full. Right after I "splurge" I think, I wouldn't have eaten that if I was at home, or I probably just gained a couple pounds. And I can't stop thinking about it.

     About 80% of losing weight or "improving" your body is your diet. The other 20% is exercise. I'm not athletic :/ I'm not a soccer player, or a tennis player, basketball, softball, volleyball, dance, cheer. That's not me. I do swim in the summer, but during the rest of the year you won't find me very active. So how am I going to lose weight or improve without getting fit? I've tried running, but it isn't my favorite. I like biking and swimming, of course. But I'm never motivated to do so. You won't find me going out for a bike ride on my own. Of course, I'd like that to change. Any ideas? Motivation? That's my problem: I eat, but I don't do anything to counteract.

     You're probably thinking, Harel, why did you just tell us all that? Well, after constantly talking to my mom about it and her telling me the same thing over and over, I've realized: I have just got to live my life. Sure, eat that cookie. But then skip the chocolate cake. Sure, indulge in pizza at your friends party, but don't have pizza again the next day. Eat what you want, when you want, just in moderation. Balance yourself between healthy and unhealthy foods and you'll find that your body adjusts. Your weight cycles itself so it's not like you're gaining pounds every single day. Eating a Belgian waffle for breakfast isn't going to make you gain 2 pounds. It's okay to enjoy yourself. Maybe later that day go on a jog or even a walk with your friend! Run on the treadmill for half an hour while watching TV!

     I hope some of you can understand what I'm saying. I know that was a pretty long ramble and it probably didn't really help you if you're going through anything similar, but I felt that writing this post was a good decision. If you have an advice, not just for me but for anyone out there, be sure to leave it in the comments <3 You've got one life to live. Are you really going to spend a chunk of it obsessing over this (probably something I should be telling myself)?

     Thank you for reading and I'll talk to you soon.

*computer hug*     

9 comments:

  1. I Have spent my whole life worrying about my weight! when i was in school i was unhealthy and thin and hated it by the time i left school i had put weight on but i was still unhealthy. about a year ago(more or less) i decided to change my diet and thought i'd give a diet a go, i went on the slim fast diet (where you have 2 shakes a day 3 snacks a day and a balanced meal) and it did work until i had a terrible time point in my life but then i thought instead of dieting going for a run with my friend who also wanted to loose weight so we tried that but with work and everything it failed! but now i'm back on the slim fast diet and cycling on the cycle machine at home where no one can see me!
    The point that I'm trying to say is depending on you whether you can handle being on a diet or not there is other options, you said you wouldn't go on a bike ride on your own? how about talking your friend or a family member to come with you? a simple bike ride round the block or to your local park to start with are good and with cycling just choose healthier options to eat, like instead of chips try sweet potato fries?(i just found these out and they are lovely!) Anyway I'm Rambling on now hope this helped

    Just Another Girl xxx

    http://heyjustanothergirlonline.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Not just for this comment, but all your others, too. Thank you for sharing that with me, I really appreciate it <3 And thanks for the tips, it means more than you know x

      Delete
  2. This is such brave and honest post! sadly, I have almost the opposite problem - I am so so skinny and I hate it so much, I eat so much food but I can never seem to put on weight, it may sound weird but I actually envy the fact that you are able to put on weight. No matter what our body size is, we are all going to disike ourselves because that's just what humans are like. Be proud of your body! Keep smiling
    Lovely post!

    sophiealiceinwonderlandxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such kind words, Sophie <3 And you're right about everyone disliking their body, but we have to learn to love it. Thank you so much! x

      Delete
  3. I love this post so much and I feel exactly the same way!
    I nominated you for the ''Small Blogger Appreciation Award. You can check it out here: http://louleecutie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-small-blogger-appreciation-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can relate <3 And thank you so so much, that is too sweet of you!

      Delete
  4. Very brave post! I respect you massively for it <3
    If you want genuine advice, I find that going for a quick run, first thing of a morning really helps- it can be 15 minutes long and you only have to do it once, twice or even three times a week. Then later, when you want a piece of cake, you've deserved it because you did that run earlier ^.^

    Huge amounts of respect though- this post couldn't have been easy to write!

    goodmorningbelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky <3 And maybe I'll give it a go!

      Delete

Featured Post

Expression

     I find it funny how it has taken me 40 minutes just to customize the template, choose the text colors, and search endlessly for a pict...