Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Grandma's Cookie Recipe

Hello!

 It feels kind of weird not inserting my Blogmas banner at the top of this post, haha. If you didn't know, I blogged every day in December up until the 25th (a.k.a. Blogmas)! And I had a little Blogmas photo at the top of each post :)

 Anyway, today I am bringing you the recipe for my grandmas classic cookies. They're simple and plain, but she makes them every time we come to Israel, sends them to our house when we are not in Israel, and always has a jar full of them in her kitchen. So, as we made them together the other day, I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Plus, it's been quite some time since I did a food/baking post!

 My Grandma's Classic Cookies:

 You will need:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
3 packets vanilla sugar (or, if you don't have it, vanilla extract to taste)
2 packets baking powder (or about 4 teaspoons)

*We didn't use an exact "cup" measurement. We took one small glass and used it for every ingredient so it would be the same unit of measurement. But, you can use an exact cup if you'd like or what ever you have lying around.*

 Also, this recipe makes about 70 cookies. Yes, you read that right - 70. Even though that sounds like a huge number, they are fairly small and in our house they are finished like that! Maybe that's because we don't get to eat them that often, haha. Anyway, you can freeze some of the dough and save it for another time if you don't want such a large number.

Step 1: Pour the flour, vanilla sugar, and baking powder into a large bowl. Although we put flour in first, my grandma says it's actually best to put eggs in first (and all other wet ingredients) and gradually add in the flour.


Step 2: Add in the eggs and oil.


Step 3: Finally, add in the regular sugar. Our recipe says 3/4 cup sugar, but you can increase or decrease that amount to your preference. 


Step 4: Mix, mix, mix! We used our hands, which did not take long at all before the dough formed, but you can use a mixer if you choose. Mix until a dough has formed; it shouldn't be very sticky once it's done and should form one large ball. Knead the dough to make sure it's smooth and all the ingredients are completely mixed/blended.

I got an action shot of my grandma mixing, lol.

Step 5: Form the dough into (very) small balls/pieces. Just pinch off a piece of dough with two fingers and that should be enough! 


Step 6: Roll out each ball into a wormy shape. Make sure it is not thin enough to break off into two pieces. 


Step 7: Bring both ends of the dough worm (lol) together to form a circular shape and pinch the ends together.


Step 8: Line two trays with baking/parchment paper and place the cookie dough on it. There should be a small bit of space between the cookies, but you don't need much because they do not expand a whole lot.


Step 9: Bake at 180° for about 15-20 minutes. Make sure to watch your cookies and take them out of the oven just as they turn a golden brown color and have thickened up (picture below); the time will vary so make sure you keep an eye on them because we ended up burning part of the second batch :( 

before
after

Step 10: Let the cookies cool for around 10 minutes. Here is what they look like once they are out of the oven. On the outside, they have a sort of airy texture with some little bubbles (as I like to call them)/dots.


Step 11: We put our cookies in a big jar and tied it off with some polka dot ribbon :)



 That is it for my grandma's classic cookies! I loved making these cookies and I also loved writing a recipe/baking post; I hope you enjoyed! If you decide to make these cookies, let me know!! I'd love to see pictures. Thank you for making these with me, grandma <3

 Thank you for reading and I'll talk to you soon.

*computer hug*

6 comments:

  1. These cookies look so nice :D
    Elise xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elise! I loved your blog post about your Winter Outfit; it was gorgeous xx

      Delete
  2. They look so cute!! Gonna have to try them out soon :')
    -LF xxx
    http://silence-the-stigma.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Expression

     I find it funny how it has taken me 40 minutes just to customize the template, choose the text colors, and search endlessly for a pict...